My knitting mojo has been really on this past couple days. I managed to totally finish a couple projects and start a totally brand new one!
The first thing I finished was the Ombre Cardigan, I know all the knitting was done, but it still needed to be blocked and have the buttons sewn on. I had already put this off for far too long. I got right down to blocking it and kept working on my French Cancan shawl while it was blocking.
I reached the point in the project where you look at it and say ‘no, I am not going to put this down till it’s finished’ and I didn’t. I finished it while I had some friends over and they all took turns trying it on. One person commented that it seemed a little small, but I assured her it would totally change with blocking.
Unblocked the shawl felt a little stiff, not that it was like raman noodles or anything, but it held it shape really well and there was very good stitch definition. I did knit the boarder on this garment quite tightly, for me anyway. I knew once I blocked it the fabric would totally and completely relax. Since it was knit in super wash I threw it in the washer under the ‘wool’ setting and let it go. This is great for hand knits because the drum doesn’t turn at all. The water fills by trickling down the mirror and then the drum rocks slightly. It is even better than a hand wash cycle because it is programed specifically not to felt.Sure enough, when I brought the shawl out and pinned it to my bed for blocking, it was much more relaxed and pliable.
While the shawl was blocking, I picked up my Ombre again and sewed on the buttons. As you probably know by now, I always sew a button to the front and a button to the back. It helps even out the pull on the sweater from the buttons and then your knits don’t look like the buttons are straining to pop off the fabric. So I got to sew my lovely orange buttons to the front and some plain blue ones to the back.
Funnily enough, I was trolling Ravelry for a sweater pattern that I liked. It couldn’t be too classy because I wanted to put a stripe through it. It was going to be in really loud colours, so I started looking for something fun. I wasn’t having too much luck so I decided to give my friend Lindsay a shout out on Ravelry and see what she has been up to for the past few months. I am so glad I did, because in her return message she asked if I had seen this pattern for a cardigan. I went over to check it out and this pattern was the perfect one I was looking for! It had stripes, it was visually interesting and an intriguing knit. Bingo, jackpot, Eureka, home run. I love it.
I swatched and cast on the sweater on Friday, and I am making a fair headway. I am a little worried about the size, it looks really small. However I measured my gauge twice and it should be bang-on. I also measured the garment itself and compared it with another knit sweater, it is a little smaller, but the other one had been blocked and was a little big on me. I am very curious about how this is going to turn out.