Okay, I will admit that I did not actually USE Duct Tape, it would have left a mark. Liane and I have been trying to figure out the best possible way to skein things. The way we were doing it was A) not ergonomically correct at all. Seriously, while we were spinning the swift sometimes the bars holding the yarn would come up and hit our forearms. While this doesn’t sound particularly painful, I will assure you that it is not something you want to experience while you are turning a swift as fast as you can. B) the swift was slipping all over the table.
As we were turning the swift and it was sliding across the table. To stop the swift from sliding across the table I would put my hand on it but my hand wouldn’t be low enough and the next time the swift came around it would hit my knuckles. After I had finished cursing, I would try to wrangle something so it wouldn’t slide. I managed to get it between my knees so it wouldn’t slide as bad but it slipped out.
I finally got so frustrated that I used masking tape to attach it to the table. This worked great for about 10 seconds then the tape started coming off. Liane actually just started adding layers and layers of tape in an attempt to keep it on the table. This wasn’t working really well either, but it was keeping the swift on the table. I count that as a win.
Another modification we added was to add a pole to turn the swift. We drilled a hole in the leg of the swift so we could turn it and keep our forearms above the poles. This works really well, I wouldn’t go back on this for anything!
Lets hope it keeps going well, I will continue to keep you updated on the upgrades we keep doing to these swifts and hopefully they will be perfect.